Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Who Says You Can't Go Home?


While drivng around the East Bridgport, CT area along the Pequonnock River 3 years ago surveying trees and bird habitat, I noticed this residential building on one of the side streets (see below)  My habit is to take impromtu photos with my cell telephone, so I stopped my truck to get this one since I could not believe my eyes: a slab of stone with my last name.  I am not superstitious, yet I thought there is only one other place that I may ever see my last name carved in stone.  I got out and took this photo.  In any event, my surmise was that this may have once been an exclusive apartment building. 

To digress, I have no particular fascination for cemeteries, although my former significant-other had a thing for scrutinizing old cemeteries on vacations to New Hampshire or weekend wanderings around Pound Ridge, NY.  "I'll wait in the car", I would say.  She had a friend who once insisted that I go to see the old Monks cemetery at the GTE Management Training Center in West Norwalk, CT.  I could not comprehend why? This location ultimately became the Dolce Vida which is a professional meeting and banquet facility. 

Could not ever figure the her out that way.  It was either take me out to breakfast at the Sherwood Diner (Westport, CT) every Sunday morning, or else.  My preference was to be out for a Sunday morning training run through the trails of the Lucius Ordway Nature Conservancy or around Silvermine, CT's serene roads-"hitting the hills" for a 10-15 miler.  Pulling out my racing bike and riding up through East Norwalk and Weston, CT was another option.  All joking aside, my former significant-other missed the Silvermine Cemetery which is a true cemetery buff's delight.  I used to run by the cemetery 5 times a week, but never stopped to go through the gate to look at tombstones of famous local personages.

While I was revisiting Bridgeport, CT's historical East Bridgeport section for scientific reasons, my research trajected into the local 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's history of this place. Based on records, there were no persons with the same last name "George" in the archives of city maps.  One of these days, when I have time and can face the Bridgeport brass, I am going to mosey down to the Town Clerk's Office to find out whose name is on this late 19th- early 20th Century building.











No comments:

Post a Comment