Wednesday, December 5, 2012

JENNINGS BROTHERS METAL FOUNDERY

            The Jennings Brothers Metal Foundery was opened by the 3 Jennings Brothers in 1890 in Bridgeport, CT.  Their offices started in 2 small wood buildings and their foundery in a brick building.  Ultimately, they expanded to a larger factory biulding which was located on Elm Street in Bridgeport.  

They specialized in metal art and maintained a staff of artists and sculptors to craft their metal art objects ("Nouveau" metal art) which included clocks, bookends, statues, metal cases, candelabras and some silver-plated utensils.  Their original items were signed with the initials "JB" on each pieces.  Many JB objects are sold at auctions:  http://www.chs.org/bookends .  Older residents of Brideport can probably find at least one JB object in their house. 

In the early 1950's the Jennings Brothers Manufacturing Company went out of business and the art object casts were purchased by another company in Philadelphia, PA.  They used the original JR casts to manufacture replicas which are cheaper versions of the original JR items sold at art auctions. 

One of the items which the Jennings Brothers produced was a small-scale version of a famous sculpture by Cyrus Dallin of "Massasoit".  This item was owned by the Medicine Man Gallery:  http://www.medicinemangallery.com/collection/deceased,-other/c/Dallin-1861%252D1944,-Cyrus-E/1/Jennings-Brothers--Reproduction-of-Cyrus-Dallins-(1861%252D1944)-Massasoit .  The following is a JB clock design from the era 1900-1910:








23 comments:

  1. Thank you for the info. Question - once the molds were sold, how were the items then signed or were they signed at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original casts or products had a "JB" insignia. Once the casts were sold they were not truly Jennings Brothers originals. I will have to see if I can find the details of the sales of the casts. However, if I recall the cheaper, later replicas should not have the "JB" insignia.

      Delete
  2. Does the item number somehow indicate when was made? I have a trinket box labeled "JB 1678" and am trying to figure out its age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a women's shoe marked JB 19. Is it old and what is it worth? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a women's shoe marked JB 19. Is it old and what is it worth? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have what seems to be a butter knife that says 1890 jennings 12 on it..what type of knife is this?... and how much money is it worth?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Jennings Silver Company piece (not sure what it is, it has two fncy short legs and the third leg appears to have been screwed into somthing) but it has 3407 on it, can you give me any information

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a small vase marked JB 181 with a hammered dot type texture and a unreadable plaque. Found it in a river bank. Any info on JB 181?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a small vase marked JB 181 with a hammered dot type texture and a unreadable plaque. Found it in a river bank. Any info on JB 181?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a pair of JB Bookend entitled "Reading a Story" circa 1924. I'm trying to find some information on them. I know they are rare because I can only find one listing on the web. Any information would be helpful No. 1565. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have an 11 inch tall clock with patent date 1890, with JB on bottom...dated 1901 on back, angel on front. Would love to know the history

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennings Brothers made a desk set that is nearly identical to the Tiffany & Co. "Adam" pattern. Was this a copy, or is it possible that JB also make items for Tiffany?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a metal footed trinket box. JB 3160
    Dimensions: 4 7/8" X 3 1/8" and 3" tall. It was given to my mother by her aunt for her high school graduation in 1940. It may have originally been silver-plated. Box is lined with purple velveteen. My mom died September 2016, and sadly I never asked her what it originally looked like. Mom left hand written instructions for me to give it to my granddaughter for her high school graduation (May 26, 2017) and I would appreciate information about the box to include with the gift. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a bronze whippet 5 1/4" long, relaxing with his front paws crossed. Can you tell me anything about this piece? Is it bronze? When was it made? Is it valuable? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm doing an estate sale and have uncovered 8 pieces of Jennings Brothers any suggestions on how to sell them? Thank you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a pice that says " trade mark JB signifies the best 575" any way to tell me if its an older mold or newer?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a Jewely box with jb in one corner and 754 in another. Is this one of Jennings brothers? What is the value?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a Jennings bronze Kentucky Derby horse called Bold Venture of 1936 that won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness that year. Like to see if anyone can help me price it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete